Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bulk Shopping in Lagos?

Everytime i visit a supermarket over here in Lagos, odika anume etufu ego (makes me feel i'm throwing money away). I know my Ibo is pitiful but its really just for emphasis. This continually gives me reason to stick with the ritual of doing most of my grocery shopping at the Lagos market (Oke-Arin).

Its Ok for the SM's to demand a fair price for their goods but sometimes, it can be annoyingly 'cut throat' particularly when you know exactly what the going price is at the Lagos market. As a result, SM's still remain for me a place for emergency buys or to get a few items you may not find at the market.

Ok, ok, i know... it can be really crowded, sunny or rainy and all.... You'll rather do without the stress of a long walk and parking 'wahala' but its well worth it in the end because the amount of money you save is in the thousands particularly if you do a monthly shopping, bulk shopping or planning to spend a few thousands. Trust me, I know! (My sister still cant get over the fact that i buy almost all Kelloggs Cereals for 600 - 700naira depending on the time of the year or the importers pegged price and those aren't even my greatest savings).

I try to find time during a week day to do this because the market is really rowdy on Saturdays, its more tolerable and calmer during the week. I would take some time off work for about 2-3 hours on a day that isn't too busy, i only have to do this once or twice in a month and make up for it later. The UBA Car Park isn't the only available car park, i prefer parking under the Apongbo bridge as its only a 5minutes walk away from the market. This costs me 200 - 300naira for parking for the duration of my stay depending on the side of the bridge.

I have a trusted Alabaru (Carrier) so you can get one and if she is good, get her phone number and make her your regular and all you have to do is to call her whenever you get to the market. They would usually carry a full head for about 150 - 200 naira.

When I'm done and i add up everything, i would have saved up to 5000naira upwards, depending on what I've bought and it sure feels good!

4 comments:

  1. this is so true,i jst discovered lately but mennnn!the wahala nor be here ooo.the extra savings is worth though.ify nice exposition of survival in d nija economy.big ups!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog