Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mum's Homemade Pancake. The best!



We’ve made these rustic pancakes at home for as long as I can remember! It might be quite plain but who cares, it’s the only pancake recipe I know that doesn’t make me get bored of it and makes me go back for more over and over again! I’ve tried lots of pancake recipes as well as boxed pancake mixes but my mum’s pancakes remain, for me, the winner!

 I hadn’t made them in a while and woke up on Saturday morning craving pancakes with hot chocolate! Mum and dad came to visit and there was no better time to make them, afterall, food always tastes better to me when it’s shared with friends and family! 'Abi beko?' (Isn't it so)? If they weren’t here with me, I probably would have just reached for some bread and closed that breakfast chapter!

The Recipe.

Serves 4 (Serving Size = 3 pancakes)

250grams Flour
60grams Granulated Sugar
30grams Powdered Milk
1 Large Egg
325mls Water
Pinch of Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Oil for frying
Knob of butter

Sift flour into a medium bowl (i use mcdougalls super sifted, all purpose flour which is available in most shops so i very happily skip the sifting and just weigh into the bowl).

Add granulated sugar and powder milk, mix.

Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, break egg in a separate bowl (this is to avoid a few errors, like having egg shell in your mixture. It really gets to me when i'm eating something and I 'crunch' an egg shell, it makes me feel proper care wasn't taken in making the food), add egg, water, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt, mix into the flour mixture with a large spoon or handwhisk until smooth.

Meanwhile, pour oil into a frying pan, about 1/4 (one quater) full. Place frying pan on medium heat. When oil is hot, use a large spoon to scoop pancake batter into the frying pan, 3 or 4 at a time depending on the size of your pan, making sure to give it room to spread, otherwise, your pancakes might be too thick. Fry until golden brown on both sides, remove from pan onto a plate or bowl lined with paper towels (or serviette, which i use more, found its much cheaper to use serviettes as paper towels are outrageously expensive and a pack of serviette costs just about 80 - 100 naira. They both do the same job anyway, so, whatever)!

While still warm, top with a knob of butter and serve.

Sit back, relax and enjoy with a mug of hot chocolate or for a heavier meal, with oatmeal.

3 comments:

  1. Seems really yummy....will definitely try this recipe this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ABSOLUTELY right my dear! Totally feel you on mum's pancake - no other has done it quite the same for me....Actually made some last sunday!
    PS: That serviette vs papertowel move works o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nkechi, its the same old, same old, just tweaked it a bit...!

    Big sis, you are so right!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog