Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Edika-Ikong; My Soup!



Been trying to think up a sophisticated name for this soup but none seems to come to mind so I’ll just leave it as is, in all its ‘virtue’! I love Edika Ikong because it is so versatile…. I personally enjoy it with various accompaniments or on its own, I never tire of it! It is easy to make and as I usually cook for the week on Saturday’s, it’s the soup I resort to on a Saturday when I’m not in the ‘cooking zone’ and all I really want to do is to relax and chill but can’t afford to otherwise, my household will be hungry during the week!

What I do is to make one huge pot of Edika Ikong! By the time we have boiled yam on Monday, Rice on Tuesday, boiled plantain Wednesday, ‘swallow’ Thursday and spaghetti Friday (Ok, maybe not, I may do a quick pottage or noodle stir-fry somewhere in-between!) with loads of Edika Ikong packed full with its ‘vegetably’ goodness, my household would have had a wholesome dinner all week with no stress!

I actually think what makes this soup is the water leave at the beginning, which is what gives it that melt-in-the-mouth feel. Oh how I love the look, feel and taste of fresh vegetables! My last supply was from my mum who gave me a ‘bucket load’ as she had found them very cheap at Otta market and had thought of me and got them (aint I lucky)! I just could’t resist taking a picture after plucking them from their stems (I cook them this way without chopping as they just melt away).



Then there is the palm oil in the end which just brings it all together…. Edika-Ikong is a dry soup, one in which little or no water is used. I figured over time that the right proportion of water leave to Ugu (pumpkin leaves) that worked for me came to approximately 3 parts of water leave to 2 parts of ugu in weight. I know we Nigerians aren’t used to weighing out things to cook, it works for us most times but I then found that it’s why my meals taste different most of the time and so I recently made it a habit to weigh my ingredients out even when I’m cooking Nigerian meals (except when I happen to be in a mad rush and don’t mind the outcome but I always seem to care! Maybe overtime, I’ll learn to ‘gauge’ the quantity with my eye!!! ).

Here goes;

Serves 12

750grams Water Leaves (plucked from stems, rinsed thoroughly with water and milton then drained)

200grams Stock fish flakes (or pre-soaked stock fish head)

100mls water

50grams ground crayfish

5 Stock Cubes

3 red or yellow scotch bonnet (quantity and choice depends on one’s personal taste)

550grams Pumpkin Leaves (Ugu) (plucked and sliced)

Salt

250mls palm oil



Place water leaves in a large cooking pot over low heat and allow the leaves to whittle. Add the stock fish, water, crayfish, stock cubes and pepper, simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the ugu, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Stir in palm oil and immediately turn off heat.



Yep! It’s ready! All the bush meat (game), pomo (cow skins), cow tail, beef etc. na jara (are extra)! So feel free to use whatever meat you like. If using, just add cooked meat into the soup when you add the stock fish.

10 comments:

  1. Oh so divine! U make it look and sound really easy....which it truly is! :)
    Well done Chef...we look forward to more tips!
    PS - where we go buy scale? because na eye we dey use "gauge" our ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. edika kong?hmmmm! my mouth is watering already but cant this at my place of work,ify u don course drop with this post already,am starving...,anywayz will try out this ur style this wkend.nice one big chef.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Thanks dear! I've spotted digital scales (i use that to ensure accuracy) in GAME at The Palms Shopping Centre, they can be found at the end of an aisle that has either plates/cutleries/pots because i remember i was looking for one of those when i saw the scales. I think the price range was between 2000-3500naira.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you ify! I love this soup and have been looking to learn how to prepare it! Thanks you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you too dearie.... you are very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ify you need a TV show ASAP!!!
    Well done, now I need a recipe for Banga soup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought my manual scale from mega plaza for 800 and my digital one for 3000. I personally dont like edikaikong very much but this looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Uzo, thanks for the update on the scales. ...Really, i'm convinced i can get you to love it! Let me know if i can send you a portion when next i make it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... Banga soup coming up soon...!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog