Sunday, August 8, 2010

Waking up to homemade yoghurt....




I woke up to homemade yogurt this morning. I have been looking forward to making my own yogurt for a while now and finally did, it was a success! Didn't think i'll get it right at my first try but i did, it was so easy to make and it tasted fresh and oh so yummy, way way better than store bought! Goodbye to store bought, artificially flavoured, preservative loaded and heaven knows what else, yogurt!

I love yogurt and the benefits of eating/drinking yogurt cannot be overemphasised. However, that love was almost killed by a certain 'popular yogurt' and thats probably why I am so excited at being able to make mine.



One lovely saturday evening, a few years ago at law school and about 3 weeks to my bar finals, i took a stroll to a nearby supermarket and picked up a few things including this 'popular yogurt'. I got to my room, opened the pack/bottle and drank. Immediately it went down, i started feeling uncomfortable and bloated, so bloated that i could not eat anything else and went straight to bed. When i woke up the next morning, i felt feverish, nauseated and a loss of appetite.

I struggled with it the whole day and by monday morning, there was no hiding the fact that i was very ill! I packed my things and went home, i was later taken to the hospital and my doctor confirmed that i had food poisoning and was subsequently loaded with drugs and injection. It took one full week before i was myself again but was thankful because I know that it could have been worse....

Since then, i thread with caution when it comes to buying yogurt and have never tasted that 'popular yogurt' again to this day. There was great satisfaction when i sat down to eat this yogurt, relishing every spoon, without hesitating to think whether or not it could poison me, which is the ordeal i have been through since that incident which i can now laugh about!

To make my homemade yogurt, all you need is 75 grams bacteria culture (very good fresh yogurt)*, 125 grams powdered milk and 750 mls boiling water;

In a medium bowl, weigh in the powdered milk, then pour in the boiling water and allow to cool until your little finger (the pinky) deeped inside can stand the heat for 10 seconds, about 45 °C (but what else can one do in the absence of a food thermometer!). At this point, add the bacteria culture to the bowl of milk, cover and tranfer gently to a cooler without shaking. Leave in the cooler (do not open so you dont loose the heat) overnight or for 6-8 hours. You can then open the cooler, bring out the bowl, stir the yogurt and refrigerate until ready to use.

This recipe makes close to a litre of yogurt.

* Remember to leave a small quantity from the yogurt you make for your next batch.

I had mine with a quick orange sauce i made but you can have yours on its own or with nuts, granola, muesli, a variety of fruit sauces etc.




Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Ifeoma Laura ElumezeAugust 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM

    yummy!!! i remember that yoghurt episode!!!!
    I will love to try this.. but where do i get cultured youghurt in the UK and even in 9ja wen i come home. You know i am also a yoghurt fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do i get the natural yogurt in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ifeoma, it was indeed a horrible experience! Thank God i can laugh about it now! The yoghurt culture is just fresh natural yoghurt and you can get it in the refrigeration section of most supermarkets close to where you find milk, butter etc.! ... I know you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uzo dear, there is a good one sold at most supermarkets, its the one i used but the name has eluded me now... Its in a white bowl and contains no sweeteners, flavouring or preservatives. I got mine from the Deli's grocery store on Akin Adesola, V/I but I've also seen it at Goodies and Park n' Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... Alternatively, i could get a portion of mine across to you Ifeoma, when you are in Naija and to Uzo, if you do need it... Enjoy ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog