Sunday, August 29, 2010

The land is green...

Our Country is rich! We are really blessed and each day, I am proud to be a Nigerian. I have learnt not to dwell on the bad and to focus on the good. I will make the best out of the opportunities available and not whine about 'this' and 'that' not working.

It was with that mindset that i entered the Ketu and Mile 12 Market during the week. Part of my job is to do a market survey, every now and then to verify prices, and also to see whats available and in season then make adjustments as items in season are always cheap.

Our first stop was Ketu Market. It had rained the day before and so the market was really muddy and messy, it would have been even worse if it had rained that day. As i went into the market, walking from section to section, i kept thinking that i would fall and then it wouldn't just be my feet that would be covered in mud and a stench...!

I slipped a number of times and overall, i didn't quite enjoy the Ketu market experience that day and was in a hurry to leave even though there was much to see; endless mounds of orange, guava, pineapple, pawpaw, watermelon, banana e.t.c and at unbelievably cheap prices.

We usually buy more things at Mile 12 and so we left for Mile 12. On arrival, i realised that Mile 12 was even messier! What to do? There was no turning back for me as i really wanted to see what was available and the prices. I immediately got myself a pair of boots and entered the market! I enjoyed every minute of my being there, exploring every part of the market.

Its amazing the quantity of food that is brought into that market on a daily basis, with different parts of the market dedicated to different food items, from tomatoes to onions, pepper, cabbage, lettuce, pumpkin, garlic, ginger, carrot, cucumber, green pepper, parsley, spinach, celery, the list is endless! Its amazing the different items grown on our soil! This made me stop and think out loud 'the land is green, it really is'! There is so much that remains untapped and so much yet to be explored in our country!

I had been miserable at Ketu market and because i did not focus on what to do to manage the situation, all i could see was the bad which made me think i would fall and in effect caused me to slip often. When i got to Mile 12, the situation was worse and i did not want the Ketu market experience to repeat itself and so had to think up something to remedy the situation.

When life gives me lemons, I will remember to make lemonade...!

2 comments:

  1. Love it....LOL..I know so many people that have boots in the trunk of their cars...The messiness of markets is really what puts me off a lot....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... You can say that again girl! Mine is now permananently in the trunk! Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog